ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/10/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
Are you interested in conducting advanced thin film physics research on a most exciting application?
We are looking for motivated and skilled post-doctoral researchers to work on the physics of XUV optics. These optics basically consist of optical stacks of films of nanoscale thickness and come in reflective and transmissive types. The physics and chemistry of these thin film systems need to be controlled with atomic precision.
The aim of our research group is to develop the physics solutions for these tasks, such that new applications can be realized. These range from multi-layered optics engineered to show near-theoretical XUV reflectivity, to highly transparent, few tens of nanometer thin membranes which are robust enough to withstand high XUV power levels. The tasks include the fine-tuning of complex optical indices by altering electronic structures, the reduction of layer roughness levels to a tenth of a nanometer, the control of thin film stresses to below a GPa, and the limitation of thermally and chemically induced diffusion processes. These processes require new types of diagnostics with adequate resolution to film thickness and high sensitivity to chemical state.
The XUV Optics Group at Twente has started a new multidisciplinary research programme on these topics. We develop forefront fundamental research, relevant to high tech applications (www.utwente.nl/xuv/). The research will take place in a state-of-the-art thin film laboratory within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology at the University of Twente, in collaboration with various industrial partners.
Your goal is to develop the key material science required for XUV optical systems based on nanoscale-thin films.
- This may include new types of membrane structures that combine strength and transparency, using functional layers to meet requirements on mechanical strength, heat dissipation and chemical inertness.
- It may also include, as an example of another project, the control of materials diffusion and segregation processes across layers and interlayers and advanced surface analysis using low energy ion scattering (LEIS) and X-ray photo-electron spectroscopy (XPS).
- Or the hybrid analysis of layered textures using a combination of X-ray, electronic and optical analytical instruments, and the technique of depth-tuned fluorescence analysis to identify and localize the materials in the stack of films.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for two years, with possible extension. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in a stimulating scientific environment. The post-doc salary is between €2.972 euro and €4.274 euro gross per month depending on experience and qualifications. The offer further involves: a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%, a solid pension scheme and numerous professional and personal development programmes.
Web site for additional job details
- You have a PhD degree in solid state or surface physics, materials science, physical chemistry or engineering, or a related field.
- You have evidenced experience in ion scattering, X-ray analysis, or thin film and interface physics.
- You have affinity with the realization of physical or chemical depositions of nanoscale thin films (MEMS, CMOS or related) and their optical, structural, and mechanical analysis.
- You are an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
- You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address a major science challenge in thin film physics.
- You are fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your reaction should include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation, a detailed CV, a publication list, contact details of referees, an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education, and a pdf of your PhD thesis. An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure.
For more information about the position, you are encouraged to contact Prof. Fred Bijkerk at firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 53 4892863 or Dr. Eric Louis at email@example.com, +31 53 4894378.
EURAXESS offer ID: 447178
Posting organisation offer ID: 285940
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.