Skip to main content
Living in EuropeMedical careSerbia

Medical care


Services, coverage and costs

Health service in the country is managed by the government-owned Health Insurance Fund (HIF), known as the Compulsory Social Health Insurance. Expect well-trained and committed personnel, but also long queues and problems due to lack of available facilities and equipment in public health centers and hospitals.



HIF covers medical services such as specialist treatment, hospitalization, prescriptions, pregnancy, childbirth, and rehabilitation. Check with your employer that you are registered with the HIF.

Healthcare cards are issued yearly, and Serbian employers are obliged to provide all full-time staff with this cover, although there can be an unwillingness to do so amongst certain employers. With this healthcare insurance card you are entitled to access state medical facilities and receive healthcare free of charge with some exceptions.

Employer and employees both share the obligation to contribute to the health care fund; the amount of contributions is dependent on earnings. Dependent family members are covered as long as contributions are made. However, for the self-employed, a full contribution is expected. The unemployed, elderly, pensioners, those suffering long-term illness, and those on maternity leave are exempted from payments.

For foreigners who do not yet have a job in Serbia must produce proof of private health insurance in order to obtain a residence permit.





Medical Care institutions

If you require the services of a doctor, ask Serbian or international friends or colleagues if they can recommend to you a good, English-speaking doctor or surgery.

The second option is to check the list of medical facilities, managed by many web sites. Our advice is to check one prepared and maintained by Birtish Consulate in Serbia. These surgeries have English-speaking doctors, although in some instances you may have to deal with doctors and nurses who speak little or no English.

The final option, is to ask your embassy for a recommended clinic. Embassies may well have differing recommendations, so try your embassy for consular medical advice.



Citizens and foreigners need to pay for each visit to a doctor. GPs make referrals, prescribe drugs, treat acute and chronic illnesses, and provide preventive care and health education.

Dentists are called zubar in Serbia. Dental services or treatments are also paid up front, and are not covered by health insurance.




Medicare for international students

Student infirmaries

All international students are required to have medical insurance (either from their home country or one purchased in Serbia) in order to be entitled for free medical care.

Check the locations on the right to find Student infirmaries in the cities which host the largest universities.

Medical services for students are provided by the Student Infirmaries at Bulevar Zorana Djindjica 52a, phone: 018/423-4155, and at Katiceva 29, phone: 018/450-0056, e-mail: mstudentskanis@gmail.