Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Leaving EuropeAccess to the culture of the host country/language courses, Departure conditions/formalitiesSerbia

Travelling to, in and from Serbia





Up to two hours flight from any European destination


Air transportation in Serbia has recently recorded a steady and rapid growth in the number of flights and passangers. Although there are 39 airports in Serbia, only 2 are used as civil airports:

Constantine the Great is located 4 km (2.5 mi) northwest of the centre city of Niš on territory Niš municipality of Crveni Krst. It is the second largest international airport in Serbia.

The most important information about the airport and flights can be found on following link:

Nis Constantine the Great airport

The airport is operational 24 hrs per day on request. The airport is very close to the downtown (about 4 km (2.5 mi)). There is a dedicated "Airport Niš" bus line that connects airport to most of the Niš suburbs (line 34). Taxi service is available at any time for any city destination and more.

Cost of the cab transportation is relatively low. Average cost within the city is approximately 200 RSD (about €2 or US$2.5). The airport staff can request taxi drivers that are able to communicate in English in order to make the trip more convenient for tourists.





Only for sight-seeing


Travelers who want to come to Serbia using train can use international railway trains that connect Serbia with all the parts of Europe throughout the year. This is not typically recommended way of transport, due to low service quality. For the local transport, a bus network is preffered option. For the romantic souls, who are not in a hurry, here are the most important things you should know about the railway service in Serbia.

Reservation of seats is an additional railway service of „Srbija Voz” JSC offered upon the issue of seat reservation vouchers, couchette supplements, sleeping car vouchers, or accompanied vehicle carriage document receipts.

Call Center number for reservations: +381 11 360-28-99

Seat reservations can be made as early as 2 months before train departure, but no later than 3 hours before train departure (4 hours for making a reservation for passengers with cars on the train).

Seat reservations must be taken within 24h starting from the moment of reservation. If the mentioned reservation was made at the moment when there were less than 24h from the train departure, reservation must be taken at the ticket selling places of ”Srbija Voz” JSC not later than 2h before train departure (or 3h for seat reservation for passengers with cars on the train).

By making one call it is possible to book:

  • 1 compartment- 6 sitting places
  • 1 compartment- 6 berths in 6 berth wagon (Bc)
  • 1 compartment- 4 berths in 4 berth wagon (Ac)
  • 2 compartments in wagon-lit – 6 sleepers or 4 double or 2 single sleepers
  • 1 accompanied car and 1 trailer.

If there is a need to book more seats, it is necessary to call Booking Center of the Belgrade station 011/26-45-76.

Reservations can be taken at the ticket counters of the following railway stations:

  • Beograd
  • Novi Sad
  • Subotica
  • Mladenovac
  • Niš
  • Inđija

Joint Stock Company for Passenger Railway Transport, "Srbija Voz", Belgrade 6, Nemanjina Str., 11000 Belgrade

phone: +381 11 361 4811, 361 6722

Important Information


Buses are the cheapest and the most effective option for local transfers


Also, there are international bus lines towards 17 European countries.

Belgrade, Novi Sad, Niš and Kragujevac are connected with all the other cities in Serbia and Montenegro by intercity bus lines. Intercity bus lines are the cheapest way of transportation in Serbia. There are also a lot of bus lines towards Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Republika Srpska.

Information about bus transportation can be found on the following links:

Main bus station, Belgrade : BAS

Timetable: BAS timetable

Bus transportation company "Lasta"(part of the Eurolines organization) :"Lasta": Lasta

Bus transportation company "Niš-ekspres": Nis ekspres


Car rides


Serbia and Belgrade are located at the crossroads of very important European roads, connecting the central part of Europe with Western Europe, Greece and Anatolia.

European roads that go through Serbia are E70 i E75.

You can drive through Serbia only if you possess certain documents: driver’s license (international driver’s license for foreigners), registration card and, if you come from abroad, international vehicle insurance that you can buy at the border when entering the country.

Distance from Belgrade to some of the major cities in Europe: Amsterdam 1760 km, Athens 1090 km, Vienna 620 km, Berlin 1490 km, Berne 1360 km, Brussels 1700 km, Budapest 380 km, Bucharest 620 km, Istambul 930 km, Copenhagen 2020 km, Ljubljana 528 km, London 2070 km, Munich 1020 km, Moscow 2200 km, Podgorica 450 km, Rome 1280 km, Sarajevo 325 km, Skopje 440 km, Thessaloniki 700 km, Stockholm 2620 km, Zagreb 393 km.

On the part of the roads E70 i E75 that go through Serbia the toll is charged.

A foreign citizen can come to Serbia in his or her own car with a foreign license plate and can use it during his visit. Motor vehicles with regular foreign registration plate are reported to the customs orally; that kind of vehicle a passenger can only use personally and when he or she returns, the vehicle must be returned too.

If a visitor plans on staying more than 3 months in Serbia, he can temporarily import a motor vehicle with full exemption from payment of any duties under the following conditions:

  • A vehicle can not be older than 3 years
  • A person has to have a stay permit for longer than 3 months
  • A person has to be the owner of the vehicle for more than 6 months, before arriving to Serbia.

A foreign driver in Serbia has to have a national driver’s license, a registration card and an insurance policy (if a person already owns an international driver’s license, he can use it, but he has to have some kind of insurance (an insurance policy paid in his own country, green card or international insurance).

If a driver does not have an evidence that his vehicle is insured, he has to pay obligatory insurance policy when entering the Republic of Serbia, that is, he has to sign the contract with one of the Serbian insurance companies.

A foreigner who is granted a permanent settlement can drive a car under the international driver’s license for 6 months after entering the country. At his request, his international driver’s license could be replaced with a Serbian driver’s license for those categories of vehicles with which he can operate without taking the driving test.



Procedure in a case of a traffic accident

In case of an accident, traffic police should be called. Traffic police will make a record of the accident, and for the vehicles with a foreign registration plate it is necessary to get a certificate of vehicle damage form the traffic police. This document should be kept and shown to the officials on the border when leaving the country.

The service “Help-Information” of Auto-moto Association of Serbia (24h/day HELP on the road : AMSS: phone number : 987) is available to provide tehnical assistance and transport of damaged vehicles. In the case that the owner plans to leave the vehicle completely, it should be reported to the customs’ authorities or to the local offices of AMSS, which will conduct the further procedure. Either way, it is necessary to have a certificate of vehicle delivery, so that the officials could ease the procedure in the country where the vehicle is registrated.

If a foreigner citizen enters the country with a damaged car he is obliged to report that to the customs authorities in order to determine the damage and to obtain the confirmation.

AMSS help

During the day, a motor vehicle when in traffic on a road has to have normal beams turned on.

A driver may not use the phone while driving, or any other devices for communication, unless he owns the equipment that allows him to use those devices without using his hands.

When crossing the street, a pedestrian may not use a mobile phone or headphones.

A first aid kit, High visibility yellow waistcoat, warning triangle, tow, spare bulbs and European report on a traffic accident.
A driver must not operate the motor vehicle or even to start operating the motor vehicle if he is under the influence of alcohol or any other psychoactive substance.

Under the influence of alcohol is a driver or a person whose blood results show that he or she has alcohol conetnt higher 0,30 mg/ml or if the presence of alcohol in the body is determined by the appropriate means or aparatus for measuring the percentage of alcohol in blood.

A driver and passengers in the car that has seat belts built in or has a place for instalation of seat belts shall use the seat belt in the traffic on a road in a way that producer of a car has recommended.

A child younger than 12 years shall not be driven in a motor vehicle in the front seat; also, the person that is under the influence of alcohol or any other psychoactive substance (or for any other reasons can not be responsible for his or her actions) shall not be driven in a motor vehicle in the front seat.

A child of 3 years old or younger must be driven using the security seat.



Coming to Serbia?

Find out what you need to enter Serbia. Learn where to find the documents and/or assistance in getting them. Curious about how much it costs and when you can get the job done?

Answer few questions to get a personalized list of the documents you need to do a specific relocation or professional career related task. Find the exact locations of offices who provide the relevant services on Google Maps.

Go to interactive guide​​​​​​



Need visa for Serbia?

​Find out what you need to request a visa for entering Serbia. Learn where to find the documents and/or assistance in getting them. Curious about how much it costs and when you can get the job done?

Answer few questions to get a personalized list of the documents you need to do a specific relocation or professional career related task. Find the exact locations of offices who provide the relevant services on Google Maps.

Go to interactive guide